Do I Need a Permit

Permission from Conservation Halton (CH) is required to develop in areas of natural hazards including river or stream valleys, wetlands, shorelines or hazardous lands; alter a river, creek, stream or watercourse; or interfere with a wetland. If it can be demonstrated to the satisfaction of CH that the development, alteration or interference will not affect the control of flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches, pollution or the conservation of land, CH may grant permission.

Development is defined in the Conservation Authorities Act to mean:

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind (e.g. all buildings, including accessory non-habitable structure such as gazebos, decks, storage sheds, docks, stairs, retaining walls, etc.),
  • any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure, increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure,
  • site grading, or
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere.

How do I know if I need permission?

Conservation Halton now has online mapping which shows the Approximate Regulations Limit (ARL) throughout our watershed, click the Online Mapping link here, or in the navigation on the right. Remember, the map lines are approximate and there may be some regulated areas which not have been mapped. It is always best to contact Conservation Halton first by telephone at 905-336-1158, extension 2227 or send an e-mail to and you will be directed to a staff member to assist you. Staff will review regulatory mapping and advise you if your property or activity is regulated by CH and whether or not your proposal requires permission. If permission is required, staff will assist you through the permit review process.  Click here for "What you need to know about Conservation Halton Regulations"

Please note that permission from CH does not replace other permits required by the municipality or other agencies such as the Niagara Escarpment Commission. It is recommended that you contact your local municipality for information about additional approvals that may be required.