Snow School Coach
Snow School Coach
Contract, Seasonal (Approximately October to March)
Glen Eden Snow School, in partnership with the Milton Heights Racing Club (MHRC), is seeking coaches for the 2021-2022 season for the SOD Cup U12, U14, and U16/19 programs, including experienced OCup coaches interested in helping to create and develop a high-performance transition program offering.
As a GE ski coach, you will play a key role in supporting MHRC program goals on and off the hill, to ensure the athletes receive the best quality training and sports experience possible. MHRC offers training opportunities under Coach in Training (CiT coach and volunteers), including preparation for the ACA Entry Level program with a certified facilitator.
Based out of the Glen Eden (GE) Ski and Snowboard Centre in Milton, MHRC has a successful 50-year history of providing high-quality, competitive ski racing programming in the GTA. Glen Eden is a public ski and snowboard hill that is operated by Conservation Halton. Situated on the Niagara Escarpment in Milton, it is the premier skiing and boarding destination in the GTA.
If you are passionate about the sport of skiing and eager to inspire, mentor, and develop young athletes to empower the future of the sport, then this is a great opportunity for you!
Reporting to the Glen Eden & MHRC Head Coach, coaching staff will lead the racing program by:
- Supporting program design, delivery, and monitoring throughout the season, with a focus on FUNdamentalsTM and Return to Sport guidelines
- Supporting the delivery of dryland training programs
- Collaborating with the cohort coaching team to develop and execute weekly/session training plans
- Providing challenging on-snow skill development and training environments
- Flexible and innovative in utilizing all available terrain and park elements, taking advantage of away training opportunities
- Ensuring safe training and race environments for athletes
- Taking ownership of the athletes’ development, providing mid-season and end of season evaluations
- Involvement with all on-snow duties (i.e., lane preparation, course setting and maintenance, tear-down and lane clean-up), video analysis and timing system set-up/clean-up
- Ensuring all equipment is properly maintained and operational throughout the season including cleaning/sanitizing of products and equipment related to program
- Ensuring all athletes are abiding by the AOA & MHRC Codes of Conduct
- Adhering to all Safe Sport and Head Start policies/protocols, modelling positive behaviours to ensure a safe, supportive and inclusive environment is maintained for all MHRC athletes at all times
- Other snow school protocols as required (ie., COVID)
- Responsible for keeping records and reporting on attendance, ability levels and incidents as required
- Attending all required staff training sessions both on and off hill
- Minimum ACA EL trained prior to December 2021 on-snow program start, assets include DL-Trained/Certified (senior age cohorts) or more seasoned experience for a lead age cohort coach is preferred
- Previous general ski coaching experience at U8/10/12 for enrollment in CiT program for the 2021/22 season
- CSIA or CASI certification an asset
- Previous ski racing experience is an asset
- Ability to travel to a site not serviced by public transportation
- Valid driver’s license is required for competitive stream coaches
- Ability to travel within SOD (Southern Ontario Division) is required
- Strong understanding and knowledge of the ACA LTD plan
- You are:
- passionate about skiing, ski racing and bringing out the best in the athletes
- a good role model, team player, collaborative, and engage openly with all members of the coaching team and race administration
- sharing best practices and helping to develop and maintain a supportive coaching team culture
- an effective communicator with MHRC Board members, parents, and athletes, and use a high level of diplomacy
- skill development oriented, professional, motivated, and dedicated
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to submit a valid Vulnerable Sector Check. It is recommended that anyone wishing to apply commence sourcing this in advance.
- Starting at $14.25 up to $21.06 per hour based on experience and qualifications
- You will work in an inspiring setting with views of the Niagara Escarpment and no traffic lights for several miles
- You will work with a creative, talented, and solutions-focused team
- You will work for an organization that provides flexible work arrangements and places tremendous value on professional development and wellness of its employees
- Free access to Conservation Ontario parks
- Season passes and lift tickets for the Glen Eden ski and snowboard area
- Discounts on Conservation Halton services, food and merchandise
Our Core Values
Diversity and Inclusion - We endeavor to understand, accept and appreciate the value of our differences and encourage authenticity.
Learning and Innovation - We embrace the need for continuous improvement, the opportunity to learn from
others and the benefits of sharing knowledge.
Person-Centered Service - We make people a priority through customer-centred engagement, predictive problem-solving and high-quality service.
Collaboration - We seek out and trust in the skills, expertise and experience of others in order to achieve our common ambition.
Sustainability - We consider the environmental impact of everything we do and always keep future generations in mind when making decisions.
Integrity - We make decisions with accountability, transparency and a strong sense of personal responsibility for our choices and actions.
Resilience - We are positive and proud of our ability to quickly and effectively respond to change.
Please visit the link below to apply online:
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Conservation Halton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. To discuss accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
About Conservation Halton
Conservation Halton was established more than 60 years ago to protect our communities from flooding and erosion and manage and restore natural resources of the watershed. We have grown to become so much more. Today, it is our responsibility to prepare our communities for the impacts of climate change, support our partners in creating more sustainable communities, manage our natural areas and resources within the watershed, monitor and enhance the environmental health of our watershed and create opportunities to connect with nature through recreation and education.
We believe that diverse backgrounds and unique perspectives make us stronger. Conservation Halton is committed to be an equal opportunity employer, creating an inclusive work environment and encouraging employees to be their most authentic self, no matter their ethnic background, religious beliefs, age demographic, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical ability, mental health or general appearance.
Four years ago, Conservation Halton started a process of transformation through our strategic plan, Metamorphosis. That strategic plan was an important first step for us to better understand the needs of our community and lay the groundwork for what needed to be done. Metamorphosis has now reached its end, but it is more important than ever for us to plan for the future. Our new strategic plan, Momentum, positions us to use the improvements and achievements we have made to carry us into the future for a more green, resilient, connected tomorrow. We are looking to build our team with the kind of inspired, ambitious, and strategic people that are not satisfied with the status quo, are excited by the opportunity in every challenge and are driven by meaningful, measurable results. If you are looking to join an environmentally-focused and socially-conscious community organization, then we are looking for you!