Ways of the Woods (WOW) Camp Counsellor
Ways of the Woods (WOW) Camp Counsellor
Conservation Halton Parks, Seasonal Contract
Conservation Halton was established more than 60 years ago to protect our communities from flooding and erosion and manage and restore natural resources of the watershed. We have grown to become so much more. Today, it is our responsibility to prepare our communities for the impacts of climate change, support our partners in creating more sustainable communities, manage our natural areas and resources within the watershed, monitor and enhance the environmental health of our watershed and create opportunities to connect with nature through recreation and education.
We believe that diverse backgrounds and unique perspectives make us stronger. Conservation Halton is committed to be an equal opportunity employer, creating an inclusive work environment and encouraging employees to be their most authentic self, no matter their ethnic background, religious beliefs, age demographic, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical ability, mental health or general appearance.
Four years ago, Conservation Halton started a process of transformation through our strategic plan, Metamorphosis. That strategic plan was an important first step for us to better understand the needs of our community and lay the groundwork for what needed to be done. Metamorphosis has now reached its end, but it is more important than ever for us to plan for the future. Our new strategic plan, Momentum, positions us to use the improvements and achievements we have made to carry us into the future for a more green, resilient, connected tomorrow. We are looking to build our team with the kind of inspired, ambitious, and strategic people that are not satisfied with the status quo, are excited by the opportunity in every challenge and are driven by meaningful, measurable results. If you are looking to join an environmentally-focused and socially-conscious community organization, then we are looking for you!
Reporting to WOW Camp Supervisors and the Coordinator, Recreation Programs, the WOW Camp Counsellor will:
- Provide for the care, safety, well-being and personal growth of campers
- Provide a safe environment, promoting best practices for the well-being of campers and other staff members
- Provide ongoing feedback, verbal and written, to parents concerning their child’s camp experience.
- Provide leadership & education at facilities (or during activities) which require specialized knowledge or training. (Biking, Waterfront, Climbing, etc.)
- Clean/Sanitize of products and equipment related to program
- Work in accordance with the Conservation Halton’s Safety Policies & Procedures and the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and all other related manuals such as Covid-19 PPE protocols.
- Park maintenance and other duties as assigned
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Experience working in a summer camp setting or as a Counsellor in Training (C.I.T) is considered an asset
- Enrollment or completion of a College or University stream relating to recreation, teaching, sport, or similar is an asset.
- Specialized training, experience, or certification in activities or facilities relating to Recreation Program activities are considered an asset:
- Wilderness First Responder
- PMBI – Mountain Bike Instructor L1, 2, or 3
- ACCT Accredited Level 1, 2, or 3 Challenge Course Cert.
- Paddle Canada certifications (canoe / kayak)
- Previous experience working with, educating or supervising children
- Prior experience or skill with:
- Archery, Biking, Boating, Teambuilding / Challenge Course use, Outdoor Education –i.e. survival skills, Work or experience with Birds of Prey (Raptor Camp)
- Strong creativity, leadership, communication, and cooperative skills required for mentorship of other staff, and campers
- Ability to travel to the work site (Kelso Conservation Area OR Mountsberg Conservation Area)
- Successful candidate will be required to have Standard First Aid and CPR certification prior to first day of employment
- Successful candidate will be required to provide a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSS), to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
- Starting at $15.25 per hour
- Interviews are expected to begin in March and the position’s expected start date is June/July 2022
- You will work in an inspiring setting with views of the Niagara Escarpment and no traffic lights for several miles
- You will work with a creative, talented and solutions-focused team
- You will work for an organization that provides flexible work arrangements and places tremendous value on professional development and wellness of its employees
- Free access to Conservation Halton and Conservation Ontario parks
- Discounts on Conservation Halton services, food and merchandise
Our Core Values
Diversity and Inclusion – We endeavor to understand, accept and appreciate the value of our differences and encourage authenticity.
Learning and Innovation – We embrace the need for continuous improvement, the opportunity to learn from
others and the benefits of sharing knowledge.
Person-Centered Service – We make people a priority through customer-centred engagement, predictive problem-solving and high-quality service.
Collaboration – We seek out and trust in the skills, expertise and experience of others in order to achieve our common ambition.
Sustainability – We consider the environmental impact of everything we do and always keep future generations in mind when making decisions.
Integrity – We make decisions with accountability, transparency and a strong sense of personal responsibility for our choices and actions.
Resilience – We are positive and proud of our ability to quickly and effectively respond to change.
Please visit the link below to apply online:
Please have your resume ready to complete your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Conservation Halton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. To discuss accommodations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.