From the Ground Up
From the Ground Up is a new eco-education program that teaches students (6-8) about the vital role Halton forests play in our environment. Students learn about forest ecosystems and take part in effective, hands-on stewardship activities in a local natural area within walking distance of their school.
1) Focused on Forests: Enhancing our urban and rural forests through native plantings
- In-class Component - Introduction to the importance of Halton’s forests and the services they provide within the watershed. Staff will review local native woodland species and the benefits of planting native species. An overview of the outdoor component will be provided.
- Hands-on Outdoor Component - Students will take part in in a tree and shrub planting in local natural area or park. Staff will provide a “How to plant a Tree” demonstration and safety talk. They will supervise the planting activity and post planting care, e.g. mulching, watering, and establishing a photo monitoring location. This program may engage local high school students as Tree Planting Leaders mentoring younger students.
2) Species Invaders: Improving the integrity of our forests through invasive species tracking and removal
- In-class Component - Introduction to the threat invasive species pose to our local forest ecosystems. Staff will highlight local invasive species, their introduction, and how to prevent future introductions or spread. They will outline the effect on local forest ecosystems and actions to protect and enhance our forests. An overview of the outdoor component will be provided.
- Hands-on Outdoor Component - Students will take part in invasive species management in a local natural area or park. Staff will provide invasive species identification and training. They will review safety measures with students and supervise invasive removal. Leaders will go over disposal methods and documentation. Some locations will have the potential for underplanting with native species.
Grown out of the Halton’s Forest Festival, Conservation Halton is proud to bring hands-on environmental education and stewardship to students in their communities!
Contact us to find out how you can bring the From the Ground Up program to your school. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-336-1158 ext. 2284